Job Description: Swim Instructor
Job Title: Swim Instructor
Reports to: Deck Supervisor
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Summary: Instructs students on water safety and proper swim techniques based on thorough
knowledge of the Goldfish Swim School curriculum.
Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
1. Provides swim instruction based on the Goldfish Swim School curriculum.
2. Enforces safety rules and regulations to prevent accidents. Makes rescues
and administers first aid when necessary.
3. Evaluates students’ progress. Completes required paperwork in a timely
4. Interacts with parents/guardians on the activities and development of
students’ swim skills. Acts as a GSS “ambassador” to ensure parental
5. Uses problem solving/creative thinking skills to identify and resolve
challenges that students encounter.
6. Inspects pool areas before and after each class for possible maintenance,
cleanliness or damage issues. Reports issues to management as
7. Maintains and ensures proper storage of all pool equipment. Places and
removes lane lines.
8. Reports accidents and incidents to management. Completes required
documentation and paperwork
9. Performs deck teacher duties as needed.
10. Occasionally performs light cleaning duties such as window washing, deck
mopping, trash removal etc.
11. Occasionally required to attend in-service training outside of regular
Education/Experience: High school diploma or GED is preferred. Experience as a certified
lifeguard, youth sports instructor/coach, camp counselor, and/or childcare provider required.
Two or more years as a swimming instructor required. Swimming experience preferred.
Work Environment: While performing this job, the employee is regularly exposed to heat and
humidity. Noise level is usually moderate.
Certificates and Licenses: CPR/First Aid certification required. Shallow water attendant highly