Background on Southbridge Public Schools:
Southbridge Public Schools (SPS) serves approximately 2,200 students in five schools and employs nearly 330 educators and staff. In January 2016, the Massachusetts Board of Elementary and Secondary Education designated SPS chronically underperforming (Level 5), placing the district in state receivership. The third district to be placed in the Commonwealth’s Level 5 accountability status, this is an exciting time of change and transformation in SPS. On June 24, 2016, a rigorous turnaround plan, which will guide the district’s turnaround efforts for the next three years, was released to the public.
More information about the district’s turnaround efforts can be found here.
1. Responsible for remaining up to date regarding curriculum content.
2. Responsible for effective planning and assessment of curriculum and instruction.
3. Responsible for mentoring students’ understanding of the curriculum effectively and adjusting instruction, materials, or assessments, when appropriate.
4. Responsible for effective management of classroom environment.
5. Responsible for effective instruction, which includes making learning goals clear to the students, using appropriate instructional and questioning techniques.
6. Responsible for using innovative approaches, and instructional strategies, including the effective use of technologies, to increase student learning and confidence to learn.
7. Responsible for the promotion of high standards and expectations for student achievement.
8. Responsible for the promotion of equity and appreciation of diversity to ensure equitable opportunities for student learning, including implementing specific strategies for students with special needs, with 504 plans andor second language learners.
9. Performance of other job-related duties as assigned.
10. Collaborate with SPED and ELL specialists to meet the specific needs of particular students.
11. Prepare students for MCAS.
12. Understanding of the school philosophy and structure of school teams.
13. Maintain data and documentation, as appropriate.
14. Participate in school-wide professional development and seek continual feedback and coaching to develop as a teacher
15. Responsible for assuring equal educational opportunity to all individuals regardless of race, color, gender, age, marital status, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, homelessness, or disability
15. Any other assigned duties by the Superintendent of Schools or his/her designee.
QUALIFICATIONS – REQUIRED:
Education: Bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited institution;
Hold a valid Massachusetts Teaching License in Mathematics 5-8;
Hold a valid Massachusetts SEI Endorsement OR Grade-level appropriate ESL License;
Meet all state and federal guidelines in order to be fully licensed and Highly Qualified;
Current authorization to work in the United States – Candidates must have such authorization by their first day of employment.
Experience in urban, high-poverty, and/or turnaround schools;
Major/minor in specific teaching content area;
Additional certification in Teacher of Students with Moderate Disabilities and/or English Language Learners (ESL);
Demonstrated experience in English Language Development (ELD) and Sheltered English Immersion (SEI) strategies strongly preferred;
Bilingual language proficiency (Spanish/English) strongly preferred.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Southbridge Public Schools is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, creed, national origin, sex, gender identity, disability, religion, age, or sexual orientation.